Are you a museum professional with a dedication to organization and a passion for fashion history? Read on for an exciting opportunity!
The FIDM Museum seeks a qualified Registrar to oversee daily operations and multiple on-going projects. The ideal candidate is organized, detail-oriented and familiar with fashion history. They should have experience overseeing a collections management database – ideally PastPerfect and a digital asset managements database – ideally Canto Cumulus.
The FIDM Museum at the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising, Los Angeles, collects, preserves, and interprets fashion objects and supporting materials with outstanding design merit. It fosters student learning, public engagement, and recognition of the arts and entertainment industries by providing access to the collection through exhibitions, publications, and other research opportunities. Established as a non-profit in 1978, the collection now includes more than 15,000 fashion objects dating primarily from the eighteenth century to today, as well as more than 200,000 Special Collections artifacts.
The Registrar position description and requirements follow:
Job Title: Registrar
Department: FIDM Museum / Education
Summary: The Registrar creates, organizes, and maintains orderly forms, legal documents, files and retrieval systems associated with the Museum collections and loans.
- Processes and maintains all digital and physical records associated with Museum objects/collections
- Creates forms, receipts, files and retrieval systems associated with acquisitions, digital assets, donations, cataloguing, incoming/outgoing loans, inventories, insurance and condition reports
- Oversees Past Perfect collections management database for Permanent, Study and loaned objects; trouble-shoots malfunctions with technical support; organizes back-ups
- Oversees cataloging of new donations and purchases as well as found-in-collection or incorrectly catalogued objects
- Oversees labeling of catalogued objects
- Compiles a year-end inventory of donations and purchases
- Keeps apprised of approved and current registrarial standards
- Meets with donors and provides temporary receipts, deeds of gift, and tax-deduction information
- Oversees Digital Asset Management Database, including file naming/uploading /organizing photos
- Processes requests for image rights and reproductions under Curator’s supervision
- Provides research assistance for Curators
- Supplies factual information for label copy
- Packs and ships Museum and loaned objects (with assistance from Museum staff)
- Couriers and installs objects for traveling exhibitions and loans to other institutions
- Assists with installation/de-installation of exhibitions on two campuses, including dressing, styling, and working with staff, interns, student workers, and volunteers
- Assists with internal and external programs
- Other duties, as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
- Organized, detail- and multi-task oriented
- Excellent communication abilities
- Strong digital asset management skills, particularly Past Perfect and Canto Cumulus
- Strong knowledge of fashion history
- Knowledgeable of museum administrative procedures and standards
- Knowledgeable of current collection management and registration procedures, AAM standards, and proper object handling methods
- Flexible and personable
- Standing or walking 2-4 hours at a time, up to 8 hours per day
- Sitting at a computer 2-4 hours at a time, up to 8 hours per day
- Lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 35 pounds, including mannequins
- Pushing and/or pulling of heavy carts, crates, and other containers
- Working with manual and light-duty power tools
- Bending, squatting, reaching, and lifting overhead, kneeling, climbing ladders
Education: BA degree in related subject, MA or MLIS preferred
Experience: Two years minimum museum experience
To apply, visit the Registrar position listing at the Association of Registrars and Collections Specialists. To learn more about The FIDM Museum and its collections, please visit our website, FIDMmuseum.org.
We look forward to hearing from qualified individuals interested in becoming part of The FIDM Museum team!